Wednesday, August 14, 2013

OMG BLT


 Please forgive me. What I am about to share with you must be kept in strict confidence. There are many things I need to tell you and I really should update my bio page, which I promise I will do soon. Back to  sharing. I LOVE bacon. I do not know when this began because I hated bacon as a child. I remember my dad cooking it and the smell alone gagged me. I remember looking in the pan and all that grease was, like, so unattractive. Back then he would slide a few slices onto my brothers plate and they looked like slimey gobs of fat. No, bacon was not for me. So I really don't know what happened. I don't know when it began that I began to like love bacon. I kind of wish I had never found bacon, but alas, bacon has found me.

I have made bacon jam which is quite good and I really should do it again, so that I can show you a picture, But it is totally dangerous stuff to have around. I mean it just has so many uses all of which contribute to the curve in my hips. So you get the picture. And one day, long before bacon jam, I discovered BLT's. When my husband traveled a lot, I used to make them for my dinner. It was comforting. At least to me. But I know food is not a good thing to use for comfort, so I could use some new suggestions. Perhaps a cat?


Well, onward. This post began when I saw this post for candied tomatoes and candied bacon. Now you must know that I never liked tomatoes as a child either. Detested them, except in the form of ketchup or spaghetti sauce. So maybe I discovered bacon somewhere next to the tomatoes. Whenever. Wherever. But now I like tomatoes. But only if they are good ones. Which brings me to the farmers market, I went to on Saturday. They had a lot of good looking tomatoes. And I bought a lot of them. I can't ever remember buying so many tomatoes. But it was because I knew I wanted to make these- those candied tomatoes.


 And then I saw this bread. Well, I can't show you because I didn't have my camera which I should have. It was a giant, I kid you not, at least a 14" round of bread. If I'd said 20" you might not believe me, but I think it might have been that. I convinced my friend to split it with me. 

Well, this entire time I kept thinking I'm making BLT's for dinner, because one thing I always do with bacon is make candied bacon. With pepper. Everyone always ask what makes it so good. Well, besides the bacon it must be the sugar and pepper. So I knew when I saw this recipe for tomatoes that it would go so well with my bacon. And when my friend Mr. KR posted candied bacon on his blog on Monday, I debated on giving you this today. But I just couldn't help myself because this was so damn good. Just be sure to visit him and Kim for the candied tomatoes because their pictures are like way better than mine!

Next time I think I would revert back to white bread. I think bacon goes better with white bread. Or corn bread. Or just by itself. But really this bread was so good, one of those artisan Italian wholewheat, spelt breads and it was awesome; but it was just a wee bit much of bread. However even with all that bread, this sandwich shined. I mean glowed. I mean shimmered in the sun. Oh, this is a good one. Sweet and salty and peppery and I want one right now. And then yesterday I made a tomato sandwich. I took fresh tomatoes and those cute candied tomatoes and some basil and mayo and put them on bread. I might do it allover again; it was so good.

Oh yeah. Did you think that was mayo in the photo? Nope. I used jalapeno cream cheese. Forget the calories in mayo and use this. Simple deliciousness that makes this sandwich go down easy. I'll leave it up to you about how much to schmear on.

Anyway, it you think my bacon looks a tad overdone-well-it is. I love my bacon totally crisp. Which is maybe why I never like my father's.  My kids like there's just a bit softer than me and so does hubby. Sorry, I'm the cook! So this bacon is crisp and crunchy and well carmellized because of all the sugar. And the tomatoes are well carmellized, too. I probably didn't need to leave them in the oven so long but I was on the phone with my brother so I paid full attention to him and not the tomatoes. Woops. Didn't matter they still turned out great. 



OK! Get on with it.  You will not be sorry. Hurry up already. Get cooking!



Candy Pepper Bacon
(I use thick so it takes longer than using thin. Cooking time varies but you must watch your bacon as it will burn in an instant. About 5 minutes prep and 30 minutes cooking)

I cooked 10 slices and used about 5 for two sandwiches. I weaved the bacon together because it doesn't slide as easily off the sandwich. You don't have to do this but for some things it works pretty well, especially on top of a burger!

Place parchment paper in pan. Place wire rack on top. Cook bacon for two minutes in microwave to render fat. (I do this by placing slices on a paper plate that is set upon a regular dinner plate and then cover with another paper plate. You can skip this step and just cook it in the oven but add about 10-15 minutes more cooking time.) Then place on rack. Spread with brown sugar. Sprinkle liberally with black pepper. Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes.

Jalapeno Cream Cheese (About 10 minutes prep)
1 8 oz block cream cheese
1/4  of an onion
1 seeded jalapeno
1 T chili sauce
1/2 t garlic powder

Throw it all in a food processor and pulse away. Add some milk if you need to thin it. Or more chili sauce. (I used the Heinz variety, but you can use a spicier kind if you want.)

To Assemble:

Slice bread and toast. Schmear with cream cheese on each slice of bread. Layer each slice with several or a lot of candied tomatoes. Then top with bacon. Then lettuce. Then you could put a slice of fresh tomato or not. Then top with your other schmeared slice of bread. Eat and drool.

Necessary Ingredients
Jalapeno Cream Cheese
Candy Peppered Bacon
Bread
Lettuce 
Candy Tomatoes (I roasted about two pounds of tomatoes which was 2 cookie sheets worth. I put pepper on one sheet and those were outstanding, too.) And my leftovers are in the fridge waiting to be savored.



Oh yeah. Watch the bacon when the dogs are around. They kept careful eyes on it the entire time.




A Few More To Try:
Hot Brown Sandwich
Banh Mi
Dan Dan Sliders or Chinese Sloppy Joe
Chicken Artichoke Baguettes and Artichoke Dip


21 comments:

  1. I definitely need to try candied bacon in a BLT! Why haven't I thought of that? Great idea. Truly fun post. And thanks for the link love. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a must! I love you Mr. KR. Shhhh. Don't tell Mrs. KR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This looks and sounds SO AMAZING. I've been seeing candied bacon everywhere but not in a BLT. Brilliant! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Monet. I love to share good things. And I love your blog. Please visit more often and if you get to Denver I'd love to hold that gorgeous baby!

      Delete
  4. That sandwich looks incredible, Abbe. You have me at peppery candy bacon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one, Angie. the bacon is enough to knock you over!

      Delete
  5. Who knew you could make a BLT even better???? This looks outrageously delicious with the candied bacon and candied tomatoes!!! I must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try, Liz. Next time I'm adding fresh roasted green chilies.

      Delete
  6. OMG you definitely got the name RIGHT for this BLT sandwich!
    It looks like its to die for! Yummy! Fantastic recipe! Thanks for sharing! xxoo Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna and Liz! And thanks for visiting! Come back and visit anytime.

      Delete
  7. This is a seriously delish sandwich...The name is so proper, Abbe! It's really an OMG BLT. Drool, Denise, drool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, thank you because I didn't know what to call it. But it fits, eh?

      Delete
  8. I look forward to this time of Summer every year, when the tomatoes are ripe, so that I can make BLT's. I just made them for dinner Monday night and considered following John's candied bacon recipe but thought my first sandwich for the year should be "old school". I'll be serving quite a few of these in the weeks to come, plenty of time to try his bacon and your jalapeño cream, and candied tomatoes. Thank you, Abbe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too many blt's! There re a zillion combinations and they are all good. Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. OMG is right - you are my hero! This is so over the top fantastic. I will share this with my husband - and maybe even make it for him. Fantastic flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like this. Love this. It's bacon. you can't go wrong! Thanks Tricia!

      Delete
  10. I don't think my hubs could handle the sugar or pepper, but I am definitely going to use your basket weaving technique - he loves BLTs! Thanks Abbe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That basket technique works pretty good Biz. And it works on burgers, too! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. Yay for extra crispy bacon, especially if it is candied! There are few things in life better than an awesome blt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Laura. I love them but try to curtail myself!

      Delete
  12. The OMG in the title is so perfect for this sandwich Abbe! Those tomatoes and bacon are to die for! I used to dislike all sorts of things too as a kid. Now I almost like everything!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy!