Friday, August 16, 2013

Cream Cheese Pound Cake - Or If I Were A Cake...





 I think, if I were a cake, I would be this cake. Don't get me wrong, I love my chocolate, but I would want to be something basic, something reliable, something strong. Something you could dress up and take anywhere or be perfectly happy with having all to yourself. At home, on the couch, or in bed, and especially at a picnic. Yes, I would be this cake. It has withstood the test of time. It has weathered long bouts in the freezer and still makes everyone happy. Its strong, golden crust sometimes crumbles if cut but then you can eat the crumbs. Ohh, they are good. It holds up to chocolate sauce, raspberry sauce, ice cream and fruit and never loses itself in the process. It is a happy cake and makes the house smell so good as it bakes. Plus it is a quick, easy cake to make. And making friends the easy way is this cake's style. It doesn't judge or speak out of turn, it is just happy being in its place on the  cold tile counter and doesn't need a fancy cake plate to make it feel gorgeous. It lasts awhile like good friends should and can even be crumbled and tossed around without its feelings being overly hurt.  It is a good cake and is  proud of that fact. It is moist and rich and fragrant with vanilla. It is complex while at the same time being simple which makes anything more interesting. It is a cake that has had many opportunities to shine on its own and in the shadow of something else without losing its own identity.

This cake was attributed to  Marsha Hill from an old Junior League cookbook, Posh Pantry, from Kankakee, Illinois. My mom sent me this cookbook in 1981 when I was just married, and I've enjoyed it ever since. I've been making this cake at least thirty years now and am never disappointed. My daughter even baked it in 8th grade for a class which has long escaped my memory, though I do have the video! You can bake it in a bundt pan or do as I do. I bake it in 2 loaf pans and then freeze one.

Moist is its middle name and rich, its last. But not too rich as it shines in many ways. I served this cake last week with fresh sliced, yummy peaches and a scoop of sweet cream ice cream. It seemed like peach cobbler but it wasn't. Just this glorious cake in all its glory. I've served it with chocolate sauce and whiskey sauce and raspberries, but not all at the same time. It does tend to fall a bit in the middle but that only exposes its interior beauty for all to see!

This cake should be in your repertoire. You will find many excuses to serve it. Perfect for a school function or perfect for a book club. Perfect for making your family feel special. And it takes like 10 minutes to mix up. Well, make that 15. Most of the time is in the oven while you are inhaling the aroma of sugar and vanilla and butter. And really what can be better than that - except maybe chicken on the grill?




Marsha Hill's Cream Cheese Pound Cake
(serves at least 12)

3 sticks butter at room temperature
1 8oz package cream cheese at room temperature
3 c sugar
pinch of salt
2 t vanilla
6 large eggs at room temperature
3 c all purpose flour

Grease and flour 2 8x4 loaf pans or one 10" tube pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cream butter, cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add salt and vanilla, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Gradually beat in flour on low speed, so you don't make a floury mess of your kitchen. Or drape a towel over your mixer while adding. Spoon into pan or pans.

Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean. Do not overfill your pans or some could end up on your oven floor.

Marsha says to serve with red raspberries which I totally concur. Or any berry, or any peach, bananas or ice cream or whipped cream or hot fudge or caramel or a splash of bourbon... I could go on, but I won't!



More Things To Eat:
Martha Mervis's Cake
Sugar Cake
Brown sugar Spice Cake

34 comments:

  1. Love the smooth and fine texture of this cheese pound cake...I actually love it plain as the cake itself is delicious enough.
    Have a great weekend, Abbe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great plain, Angie. makes a great breakfast treat!

      Delete
  2. A cake that freezes well is a good thing! Never know when you might want some, and it's nice to have it reasonably available. I'm not sure if I've ever had cream cheese in a pound cake before. If I did, I sure don't remember it. Sounds like a terrific idea, though, and I'll have to tell Mrs K R. Good stuff - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good one, John. You could top it with toasted coconut and roasted pineapple for tiki month! The possibilites are endless! Thanks for always reading! And commenting!

      Delete
  3. Oh my! This looks so moist and tasty!!! I wish I can get a slice now. I am saving this to my bookmark. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lokness. it is a very good, very moist, and delectable cake. You will enjoy. Make it soon and visit me again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, just so you know - I've already declared pound cake insulin worthy! :D Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then if you need a pound cake, this is the one. That is if you like dense, vanillia, moist, golden cake. Truly this is a great cake. We love it! Thanks Biz! But be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being able to freeze a cake is a must for me. I do love cake but eating a whole one is often a bit much. I rarely bake them, as a result. I could halve these, freeze 3, and and enjoy cake without having to binge in order to finish it before it goes stale. Serving this one with berries and ice cream is, for me, the way to go. Thanks for sharing a great recipe, Abbe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, you could do those teeny little loaf pans. Just watch the baking time. Thanks, John. You are a good pal!

      Delete
  8. This is definitely a nice cake to be! :) Yes, better than chocolate, in many ways. This would definitely be my go-to cake, I'm sure. Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A go to cake - yes it really is, Amy. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. This sounds easy to make and looks wonderfully moist! Love cakes that freeze well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And scrumptious Laura. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. This is very similar to my mother-in-laws pound cake which is everything you said and more. It is a perfect cake and the aroma while it bakes is unlike any other. Delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother in law knows a good pound cake when she sees one! Thanks, Tricia!

      Delete
  11. Oh, I love pound cake! And this one looks terrific, Abbe...it's stood the test of time! I need to make it while there are still great berries around for a topping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berries are great with this Liz, but so is hot fudge sauce! Or caramel sauce or strawberry sauce... It's a good one Liz! Thanks.

      Delete
  12. that looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh la la! I like your cake, it sounds delicious and I'd take it over chocolate any day. A perfect recipe for a perfect cake, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pam, you make my day! I love it with chocolate - or not! Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Abbe, let me just say that if i were a cake, i would also be a cream cheese pound cake. I think i've actually said that to friends before. :) something so special about something so simple and straightforward, and yours looks divine: you can actually see how dense and perfect it is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Shannon, we must be two peas in a pod! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. there's nothing like a good pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dina! And thanks for reading!Feel free to stop by anytime!

      Delete
  17. Happy Dance~~ I have all the ingredients to make this pound cake today! Always give hubs a hard time when he buys two of things I put on the grocery list...gonna give him a ♥kiss♥ today for doubling up on the cream cheese the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correen, let me know how it works. I love having ingredients on hand when I have the urge to bake something. He will give you a kiss for making it! Happy Dance is right!

      Delete
  18. This pound cake looks delicious. I found your post on YBR and I've pinned the recipe. I can't wait to try it.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you! I've never tried YBR so I'm glad you told me. You will love it Annamaria. Thanks for visiting and stop by again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh gosh your photos and recipe are making me crave a slice...or two right now. Thanks for being a part of the YBR.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Only 3 eggs? Alot of pound cakes call for 5 or 6 . What is the texture like?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't believe it. Amber you are the first one to catch my giant error. It is supposed to be 6 eggs and I am so sorry to everyone if you made this with three. I think my old eyesight transposed the number. Amber, this makes a really dense, almost fudgey (but with no chocolate!) texture. It is awesome. Thank you for correcting me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUM! That looks amazing. I'll definitely have to try it! :]

    -SITS Love

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy!