Monday, June 10, 2013

Texas Sheet Cake



The rabbit catcher is from Texas. Houston to be exact. A long u please.. That's how they all say it when they talk and catch up, y'all. We met in Colorado where we both moved to escape our various climates and to go to school. Yes, I did go to school, kids, even if I met your daddy there. And I did graduate and not just with an MRS as some like to say. And thirty some years later we are both still here. But I think the rabbit catcher's parents have always blamed me for not getting their boy back to Texas. And what can I say? Well, I may not have brought the boy back, but Texas is still in his DNA.

Now the rabbit catcher loves his bbq. He loves his TexMex. And he loves his beer. And now he loves this cake. But I gotta tell ya'. He had never heard of this cake. When I told him it was a Texas sheet cake, "He said-a what? It doesn't taste like sh--." His hearing isn't so good either. Yeah, the rabbit catcher's humor is surely interesting. When I explained  a Texas sheet cake is called a Texas sheet cake by virtue of the fact that it is baked on a sheet or a large pan, he wondered why he'd never heard of it before. I don't know rabbit catcher, but I'm sho glad ya liked it.

So now I see Father's Day is upon us. I don't have to look at a calendar to know this. When you read a lot of blogs you know what holidays are coming up by the topics people write about. I can now tell you without a doubt that men like meat. They like bbq and nachos. And lasagne. They love steak and hot sauce. The hotter, the better. My man likes his cigars and his special tequilas. And I mustn't leave out hamburgers or hotdogs. Or brownies or cake or watermelon. Yes, it is pretty clear to me what dads like to eat. FOOD. And as long as it is prepared by someone else, things are pretty, pretty good.

So hell. I'm going to give you another chocolate cake recipe. It took me years (about 30) to make this, but the rabbit catcher was pretty happy. My son liked it, too but he likes everything. But me-well, I loved it! This cake was moist and tender, easy to make, no mixer required and the frosting is killer. Plus, it is meant to be made for large crowds, hence the name sheet cake. No cute three layer cake here, folks. This one is the bake in a pan, take to the bake sale cake. Or take to the potluck, cake. You could serve it with ice cream but I'm a purist kind of girl. Just give me a glass of milk and I'm happy.

So y'all. If you got a big group gathering this weekend, this is most definitely the cake to bake or make. Or take. Wow, Mondays are so eloquent! And I can attest to the fact that it keeps for a good 7 days not refrigerated, and still tastes sweet and moist and plain old good. Make the dads happy. Make anyone happy. If chocolate is their thing, this oughta do.



 Texas Sheet Cake (serves 12-16 or 8 hungry Texans)
2 c sugar
2 c flour
2 sticks melted butter
4 T unsweetened cocoa
1 c coffee (room temperature)
2 eggs
1/2 c buttermilk
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 9x13 pan.

In  large bowl, mix together sugar and flour.

In pot, melt butter. Add cocoa and coffee and heat until boiling. Remove from heat. Pour over sugar/flour mixture. Stir well.

Mix eggs, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla in large measuring cup. Stir into cocoa mixture.

Scrape into greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Check. Toothpick should come out with tiny crumbs sticking to it and the sides of the cake should be pulled slightly away from the edge of the pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Now pour and smooth icing over the top. Chips will melt into the frosting and cake. Put back in turned off oven for about 5 minutes. Spread again if needed.Take out and place on rack. Let cool. Frosting will harden as it cools.

Frosting
1 stick butter
4 T cocoa
6 T milk
1 t vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar

When cake is almost done, melt butter in large bowl in microwave. Whisk in cocoa, milk and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat well. Spread over cake while both are still warm.



Other foods Dad may like:

The rabbit catcher saved these!


18 comments:

  1. You're right about always knowing what holidays are coming up when you read food blogs! Texas Sheet Cake is pretty good - Mrs K R baked one a month or two ago. Great cake for a crowd! We're not that, so we froze some of it - it freezes pretty well, too. Good stuff - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, Mr. K.R. And good to know it can be frozen. I suppose one could even cut the recipe in half-but that wouldn't be very Texas like now would it?

      Delete
  2. It looks so moistylicious!!! MY MOUTH IS LITERALLY SALIVATING...What dad wouldn't be happy eating this cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think, too Denise! And it is so moist!

      Delete
  3. this is one of my all time favorite chocolate cakes. thanks for the recipe. your cuz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have told me about this sooner, cuz. I hope you aren't holding out on me. Bake it soon!

      Delete
  4. I am going to bake this next time we have visitors or I would end up finishing the whole cake by myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Texas sheet cake is one of my favorites. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. I have to admit that it is now one of my favorites, too!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a great cake to me, Abbe. You cannot beat chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. When I was young, Mom and Zia rarely made a layer cake unless it was someone's birthday. Otherwise, they always baked sheet cakes. With at least 12 people seated at the table, it was one sure way of everyone getting a piece. All those years and all those cakes, we never knew it as a "Texas Sheet Cake." To us, it was just "cake." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that, John. And how lucky you were that your mom made cakes! And if getting a piece of cake means a sheet cake well, that would be good with me! And 12 people? My mom wouldn't have made it past breakfast!

      Delete
  7. I love this cake -- so delicious! I only had it once, but really enjoyed it and yours looks so chocolaty and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I think i had it at a school function long time ago. But I remembered it because I thought it was great, too. It was yummy and now you should try it, too!

      Delete
  8. A big yes for texas sheet cake! It is funny that he didn´t know about it. Is he from texas, really? lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is from Texas-but we don't talk about it much. LOL!

      Delete
  9. Haha...love his first response to the name :) We love Texas sheet cake here, too...especially when it's chocolate. I need to make this again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do Liz. But I think sweets are not lacking at your house!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy!