Friday, June 21, 2013

Feeling A Bit Blue Today or Blueberry Nut Bread

Blueberry Nut Bread
  I'm feeling a bit blue today and it isn't because I discovered this blueberry bread in the fridge this morning. I had made several last week and gave one away to my neighbors but somehow this one was still hiding in its loaf pan on top of the eggs. It kept well and is still moist and good. Blueberry bread is perfect with your tea or coffee, as an afternoon snack, breakfast treat or even for dessert. In that case, top it with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream and some blueberry syrup. You will thank me later.

No, I'm feeling a bit blue because this was posted on my son's Facebook page today. "Officially moving to Sonoma on Monday." We knew it was coming and we are happy for him. But life is a series of hellos and good byes and this is just one more in many that are still yet to come. He would tell me I'm being a bit dramatic, which I probably am, but I liked knowing he was living in the same state as me. I liked the rush of when he would come home and we could sit and talk around the dinner table with music playing in the background and the sound of the washing machine signalling the presence of his dirty clothes.

 Music seems to follow my son where ever he goes. And isn't it funny that his guitar teacher who he took lessons from -from the age of 7 until 15- immediately messaged him back and said he lives not far from there.  That his guitar teacher still follows him is soothing to me and I know they will get together. Well, they better.

Alex will be working here. It looks like a pretty awesome place. They aren't paying him enough but I bet all mothers say that. I hope they treat him better than the last place that didn't deserve him. I bet all mothers say that, too. But he learned a lot. Not just about working, but about himself. He learned that he doesn't need to know a soul to explore the world. And his soul isn't afraid to explore. This is just a stop on the road back to China. I can feel it in my soul.

Jeez, I'm even wearing blue!
I've never been to Sonoma. I've been to Napa twice. Yes, he is choosing a spot I can imagine being and I hope I can visit. No, I don't think he intends to be there long but it is the kind of country that looks like it could inhale you. The scenery is so magnificent and the air must be filled with the scent of food and wine. And I bet everyone has grapes in their backyard and perfect vegetables in their garden and the ocean is just an hour away.Well, a girl can dream, can't she?

When my kids went off to college I wondered if one would be on the East coast and one on the West. It didn't happen then but now that will be the case. My husband better make a lot of money fast because I don't intend to stay put in the middle. I'm ready to explore life, just like my son, and I am tired of waiting. (No pressure, dear.) And so it is, that I ask of all of you-do you know anyone in Sonoma? A mother always feels better when someone can check up on their offspring. And after all, he is just living temporarily with a stranger in Santa Rosa in a room in their townhome. I hope he is a good stranger.

So, I guess he will soon be on his way. He is getting tires for the car and loading it up. After of course we attend a big wedding in the mountains with lots of friends. Everyone will say hello and how are you doing, it's been to long, look how your son has grown, and then it will be time for goodbyes-again. Life-full of good byes. But better yet-full of hellos and see you soons. I promise.



Blueberry Nut Bread Serves 12

2 c flour
1/4 t salt
3 t baking powder
1/2 c maple syrup or  (use 1 c sugar total since you really can't taste the maple in this and increase the milk to one cup)
1/4 c sugar
1 c fresh blueberries
1/2 c toasted walnuts or pecans
2 eggs beaten
3/4 c milk
3 T oil
1 t vanilla

Stir together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Add the berries and nuts and toss.

Combine eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and stir into berry mixture. Pour into parchment lined 9x5 loaf pan. Let stand 20 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 350. Bake loaf one hour or until toothpick comes out with just a few tiny crumbs sticking to it.


Others you should try:
Belgian Leige Waffles
World Peace Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies


24 comments:

  1. Sonoma is a great place! Your son will enjoy it. You should definitely try to visit him - lovely countryside. And you can bring him this great looking bread! Just in case he's feeling blue, too. ;-) Good post. And cheer up! You know you'll figure out a way to see him before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sniff, sniff, sob, sob. Thanks Mr. KR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Abbe, you will have an excuse to visit new places now. And the blue will turn into sunny yellow in no time! And he will have so many learning experiences. Life is about saying goodbye a lot, it´s true, but just for a while. The blueberry bread sounds very comforting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Paula, you are so kind and you are right about learning experiences. And this bread is comforting. You are right.

      Delete
  4. You look great in blue :-) This quick bread looks divine, Abbe. I look forward to reading your visit(s) to your son in Sonoma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, you will be the first to know when I'm going. But he does need to get settled first!

      Delete
  5. I've been on a savory bread kick lately, buying a different loaf each week at the farmers market. So when I saw this post's title, I thought I'd file away the recipe for another time. Then I saw the opening photo. Why didn't I buy blueberries today at the market? I didn't even stop at the vendor who offered me a sample. Next week it will be a different story completely.
    I'm certain these will make a wonderful gift when you visit your son. I've a feeling you'll get there sooner than you think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh John, a gift for my son. He would like that. He is a great cook, too! And get some blueberries-they are good for lot of things. But I love savory breads, too!

      Delete
  6. I heard that Sonoma is lovely, so Alex is going to enjoy it! Whatever happens, happens for good. Life teaches us a lot of things, you see. I wish him best of luck for the future.
    And yes, this bread looks gorgeous and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that too Purabi and I know he will enjoy it. You are right about life and he truly savors it to the fullest which is a great trait to have. Thank you so much, I will pass on your good wishes!

      Delete
  7. This bread looks super yummy and should certainly make you feel better! I want to move to California as soon as possible, but I only want to if my parents move with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Laura! Laura, if that is what you want just do it. They will come visit. And you will have a lot to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blueberry bread looks so good! And I've heard Sonoma is beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting Nancy! It is a good, wholesome blueberry bread. And I will report back as soon as I visit! I wish it could be tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would eat your blueberry loaf as breakfast AND dessert! I would be crushed if my son moved to California, but it looks like a great opportunity for him...and a wonderful spot to visit. You've given him wings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not crushed-just sad. But you are right in that we did give both kids wings. And so far they are using them well. They both love and miss Colorado so I figure when I'm really old and need someone to take care of me they will have moved back by then! Hope I can wait that long...

      Delete
  12. Abbe: You are so pretty!!! And the blueberry bread is superb. many slices for me, please!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, you make me blush. You can have all the slices you want with that comment! In fact, you can have the loaf.

      Delete
  13. This looks so tasty, I love baking with berries in the summer time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love summer berries a lot Natalie. And they are just so pretty!

      Delete
  14. My step-son moved to Austin and it took us three years to visit! My daughter lives in Chicago, a mere 1.5 hours from me, so that is nice to have her close. But I raised her to be independent, so I don't worry about her at all.

    I was going to make tiny blueberry pies for me and my husband, but I might have to make this bread instead!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't worry about them, but I do miss them! I miss their energy is the best way to put it. And their smiles!

      I love blueberry bread, but I love pie more.
      I just made hand pies with blueberries that turned out really good.But I think it is quicker to make a big pie!

      Delete
  15. Aw, Abbe, that has to be so hard! Like sad and happy for him at the same time. Certainly he couldn't pick a more beautiful place to be (Sonoma!) and you know he'll be happy, so that's always good. I already get sad when i think about my little three-year-old leaving someday, so i can't imagine what it's like. you definitely deserve the comfort of a blueberry bread, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Shannon, wait until the first day of first grade or kindergarten! Some mothers can't wait for their kids to leave for college and others are like me. You will see.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy!