Monday, March 18, 2013

Will the Real Chicken Scarpariello Please Stand Up?


Chicken Scarpariello

As of yesterday I'm not sure I had ever heard of Chicken Scarpariello, though I have heard of chicken with Italian sausage and peppers. In any case I'm not sure this is either. It appears that Chicken Scarpariello is a dish that contains chicken and hot peppers. Maybe mushrooms. Maybe wine. It is an Italian American dish and that's about as far as I got. Doesn't matter. What matters is this-it is over the top delicious! I love Chicken Vesuvio but that takes a fair amount of time. This is much, much quicker. 

 I know I told you what a simple Sunday it would be, well, it really wasn't. I made a recipe of macaroons and matzoh toffee to send to my daughter, did a load of laundry and then cut the caramels from the day before. I then started decipering the chicken recipe for this dish and found it contained a cup of butter. OMG! Even I know that is not good for you unless it is in the form of a cookie. 

After starting my new original recipe I ran over to the neighbor's house to see their new black lab puppy, Ellie. If that dog ever disappears they will know where to look. She is such a cute puppy and soo smart. Still needs to work on that house training thing but she's only like 12 weeks old. After almost an hour and a half of feeding her doggie treats and having her lick my face and a few glasses of wine I went home where my dogs totally inhaled me. They were surely upset that I didn't bring them!

So it was back to dinner and then I spent 2 hours wrapping caramels. I am not kidding. They took me literally 15 minutes to make AND clean up but 2 hours to make them pretty with little purple bows. I just want her to sell them  to make some money for her run. By the time I finished it was 10:30.  So no-it wasn't a really simple Sunday. But I'll keep working on it! 

And back to chicken. I've been doing a lot of chicken lately and I can assure you this dish is a keeper. I don't show you them unless they are. This is drenched with a garlic, peppery taste. Not black pepper but more a vinegar, winey like taste. My husband, Mr. Technology Capitalist, declared it really good. Like when will I make it again good. Trust me. This will make Monday great!



Chicken Scarpariello - Serves 2-4

2 pounded boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 T flour
1 T butter plus 1T butter
1 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 c sliced mushrooms
1 yellow pepper diced
2 Italian link sausages (Mild or hot) about 1/4 lb
2 T sliced pepperocini or chopped pepperocinis ,drained
2 T capers drained
1/2 c white wine
1/2 c chicken stock
1 1/2 T tomato paste
1/2 t oregano plus more for seasoning chicken
Pinch of red pepper flakes

Heat  1 T butter and 1 T olive oil over medium heat in cast iron skillet. Add garlic and cook until slightly light gold.

Season your pounded boneless chicken breasts with lots of dried oregano and salt and pepper.Lightly dust both sides with flour. Put into hot skillet and brown them on both sides. Add the sausages and brown. Remove from skilllet.

Add peppers and mushrooms and cook a few minutes. Remove from skillet.

Add 1 T butter. Melt and add pepperocini and capers. Cook a few minutes and then add wine, stock, pinch of red pepper flakes and 1/2 t of oregano. Whisk in tomato paste. Cook a few minute and then add back chicken and sausage, mushrooms and peppers. Spoon a little sauce over chicken before putting in oven.

Bake for about 20 minutes at 375. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve over egg noodles for  a perfect dinner. Add a salad and you have a one dish dinner! Yay!

P.S. You can make this for more people if you'd like. I figured half of a chicken breast and one link of sausage per person. You do the math! Feel free to use spaghetti or a pasta of your choice to serve this over. Orzo would also work and I think it would also be great with polenta. Ummm. I think I'll try that next!



18 comments:

  1. It took YOU 2 hours to wrap the candy???
    I think the polenta version should be tested before you go recommending here? There could be some variables that you need to work out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mr. TC! It is a test and you are paying attention. OK, it took one of us 1 and 1/2 hours and two of us a half hour. You are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new dish to me - I don't believe I've ever heard of it. Lots of good stuff in it, though - sounds delish. Sounds like your Sunday was lots of fun, even though it was somewhat complicated. New puppies (or kittens) are such a hoot, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had either. Still not sure if it's real. However I can tell you it was very good. And as for puppies or kittens-seeing them always makes me want one, or two,or...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned of this dish ages ago on some cooking show and never would have thought to add sausage and chicken together in the same pot on my own. Sure wish I had, though,, for it is a very good dish. I normally serve it over polenta, like you suggest trying, but have also used pasta or buttered noodles. Never, though, did I use a cup of butter in any part of the recipe. This was a great post, Abbe, and your recipe delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New to me too. It looks hearty and flavoursome. I am sure I will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my husband's favorite dishes. A blast from the past but enduring because it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much Chicago John. It is nice to know someone knows of it! Honestly, it was great and I thank you for your generous comment. the recipe is very good and I know you will enjoy it!

    Angie, you will love it too!

    And Ronnie, is this similar to your recipe? I'd be curious to see. Make your husband happy and make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this dish either, but great combo of flavors. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by! You will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've every tried Chicken Scarpariello either. But I'm loving what's in it and yours looks so good I want some right now...oh...and I just had dinner too. But your pictures and descriptions are making me very hungry. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, you will love it! But I just came from your site (TRUE) and I want those cute little bunnies. They are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure, this would be a great dish, as it has chicken and sausages. Chicken Scarpariello is such a new name for me: is it a traditional Italian dish? Wow, I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From what I could tell it is Italian American. The pepperocinis and capers gave it a ton of flavor. Thanks Purabi.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had chicken scarpariello, but it sounds good! Wrapping caramels is such a pain. But they taste so good that it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the oregano and the peppers. They make this really good. And wrapping caramels is a pain but I knew my daughter wouldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum! I'm always looking for more recipes with chicken. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Cathleen for stopping by. This is definitely one of my new favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy!