Friday, November 30, 2012

Frozen Cheese Souffle (Who knew?)


It really looks like this!    

I know. Whoever heard of a frozen cheese soufflé? Trust me, you’ll be glad I turned you on. I discovered this recipe in college in a food processor cookbook. The same one I discovered the frozen cranberries in. It has fallen apart or I would give you the title because this was a book that was worth every penny. It is kind of crazy that I have been making these recipes for over thirty years now and they are still as scrumptious as when I made them way back when.

I don’t know why I ever made that cheese soufflé way back when but I suspect it had to do with the Julia Child craze. She made a lot of soufflés and they always seemed to be a lot of work. In actuality they aren’t but when you are in college who wants to go through the trouble of whipping egg whites and then beating yolks? Maybe that is why I was attracted to this soufflé because it requires nothing but a food processor. And you can stick it in the freezer and bake it when you want. It never fails to wow guests and it never disappoints on flavor. And though it isn’t as light as Julia’s it is rich and creamy and simple!

Our haverah makes this every year for break the fast dinner. Though I love blintz casseroles this kind of ups the ante so to speak. Now it is comfort food for me and so it happens I decided it would be good to have one in the freezer for Thanksgiving weekend. I wasn’t sure if or when I would use it but I knew eventually it would find a home. Well, it didn’t take long. Sunday morning before everyone left me I put it in the oven. My kids even got out of bed to eat it. Or should I say scarfed it? Unfortunately not many leftovers for me.

I love the crusty, golden, cheesy parts that stick to the side of the soufflé dish. You will see what I mean when you make your own. The only drawback is that you have to put it in the oven about 1 hour before you want to eat it. I kind of look at that as newspaper time. You know-when everyone is still sleeping and you have the paper to yourself?

The weekend is here. And though this makes for a satisfying brunch it also makes a superb light dinner. It is perfect for a luncheon, too. In fact, it is just a perfect dish. You will worship me for this recipe. Well, I did always want to be a princess.

Before it bakes...
Frozen Cheese Souffle

1 T softened butter
¼c plus 2T Parmesan cheese (about 1 ¼ oz) room temp
6 eggs
½ c sour cream
½ t dry mustard
½ t salt
8 oz sharp cheddar, cubed and room temp
8 oz cream cheese, cubed and room temp

Butter the sides and bottom of a 1 to 1 ¼ qt soufflé dish.

Using the steel blade of your processor grate parmesan finely. Sprinkle 2T Parmesan over sides and bottom of buttered dish. To the remaining cheese in the work bowl, add eggs, sour cream, mustard and salt. Combine well. With motor running, add the cubes of cheddar and cream cheese a few at a time. When all are added blend 20-25 seconds. Pout mixture into prepared dish, cover well and freeze.

When ready to serve bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for up to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is set. If you like it crusty you can bake it longer. You may bake it without freezing in preheated 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes.

Serve immediately. Your guests will feel like royalty.










3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...that looks delicious. And it's gluten free, right?

    I don't wait for my guests to feel like royalty...I try myself to feeL princessy- even when I clean the house :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally gluten free and great for a dairy meal. As far as royalty-well-I guess I need better subjects to feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a terrific recipe. The worshiping has already begun! ;-) Good stuff - thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy!